Effective Date of Privacy Notice: Monday 11th December 2017
Most recent update Tuesday 30th July 2019
Esso Petroleum Company UK Limited (“Esso”), Ermyn House, Ermyn Way, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 8UX
Esso appreciates your interest in this project and this project website (“Site”)
Your privacy is important and we want you to understand our practices with respect to gathering personal information in relation to the Southampton to London Pipeline Project (“the Project”) and with respect to the uses we make of that information.
Esso is committed to protecting your personal information. Whenever you provide or we collect such information we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal data.
We do not distribute or sell Personal Information to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to market their products and services to you.
If you notify us that Personal Information previously submitted to us is no longer accurate, we will make a reasonable effort to make appropriate corrections.
To facilitate our efforts to meet your request, it would be helpful if you could let us know the context in which you provided Personal Information.
Information from children
Esso does not seek to gather Personal Information in connection with the Project from or about persons under the age of 18.
Dissemination of information to third parties
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Communicating via the Internet and sending information, to you by other means (including from our agents and sub-contractors) necessarily involves your Personal Information passing through or being handled by third-parties, but Esso does not sell or distribute your Personal Information to third parties for purposes of allowing them to market their products and services to you. They have access to Personal Information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
Esso does not seek any sensitive personal information and we request that you do not provide such information to us. Should you provide sensitive information to us nevertheless, the provision of the sensitive information will indicate your unambiguous consent that we process the Personal Information. Further information about what the UK Government Information Commissioner’s Office consider to be sensitive information can be found on their website here.
Opt out/modify information
You can request the removal or modification of your Personal Information by contacting us using the contact details at the end of this notice. We will then make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request. As previously noted, it would be helpful to let us know the context in which you provided Personal Information.
Information collected when you visit the Project website
Please check each portion or page of the Site that you visit. Certain portions or pages of the Site may contain changes to the Privacy Notice applicable to your use of that portion or page, for example, certain applications may request additional information from you.
Information and uses
When someone visits this website, our web servers automatically gather information that allows the Site to communicate with the visitor’s computer during the visit. We also track such information as the number of visits to the Site, which parts of the Site visitors select, analytics to measure and observe user behaviour, IP address (the Internet address assigned to your computer from your Internet Service Provider), device type, domain type, browser type (e.g., Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer), date and time of day, device screen size. We use such information only for statistical purposes that help us design and administer the Site.
Information placed on your computer
We may store some information (commonly known as a “cookie”) on your computer when you look at or use the Site. This information facilitates customizing your use of the Site and helps to avoid the need for you to re-enter your details every time you visit it. You can erase or block this information from your computer if you want to. (The ‘help’ screen in your browser or computer user manual should tell you how to do this.)
Information collected when you respond to a Consultation or contact us in relation to the Project
What information will we collect about you from the consultation and general correspondence?
Personal and contact information / details that you provide to us will be used to communicate with you in relation to the Project including to inform respondents of any key updates to the consultation and the wider Project. We will also use your personal contact information to check the validity of responses to the consultation, such as identifying a duplicate response. We will not use or share your details for marketing purposes.
We collect the following information about you:
- Any feedback you provide in response to the public consultation;
- Address and/or postcode;
- Email address;
- Any group you are authorised to respond on behalf of
- Landowner information (see below);
We only collect the information you choose to give to us, and the information we are legally required to collect.
How will Esso use the information about you?
Esso will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To maintain personal communications with individuals;
- To record accurately and analyse any questions you raise or feedback you provide in response to a consultation;
- To perform analysis on the information obtained during the consultation, after appropriate de-identification of the personal data;
- To report on our consultations, setting out what issues have been raised and how we have responded to that feedback (individuals will not be identified in any such reports);
- To maintain accurate information relevant to the Project, for example about landowners and tenants that you wish for us to know;*
- To maintain personal communications with individuals we are legally required to contact as part of consultation;
- To assist us in maintaining and operating the pipeline once constructed, including any replacement or decommissioning.
The justifications for collecting and using your Personal Information in these ways are that it is legally necessary and in the public interest to undertake and ensure that the consultation process, analysis and reporting are accurate and informative and in compliance with legal obligations. In case you do not provide information to the public consultation, your views will not be able to be considered. Furthermore, Esso asserts its legitimate business interest to process the Personal Information for the above purposes in the context of its petrochemical activities in UK.
Your information will be handled and used by the following recipients in order to record, analyse and report on feedback received and maintain records relevant to the project, including:
- Esso staff and staff members of Esso affiliates;
- 3rd party Professional Advisors who provide services to us and for us, including but not limited to Jacobs UK Ltd. and Fisher German LLP and their third party service providers;
- Dialogue by Design Ltd who are managing the consultation feedback process on our behalf;
- Yellobelly, who manage our website;
- Consultants engaged in connection with the Project;
- The UK Government Planning Inspectorate.
We will keep your information within Esso and our trusted suppliers except where disclosure is required by law, for example to government bodies or as part of the planning process in connection with the Project. When processed by us and our third party service providers, your information is processed on computer network servers based in the European Economic Area, but subject to “Data Transfers” – see section below. Where we access that information held in UK or EEA computer network servers, this is carried out only by approved project staff.
In our reporting of the consultation exercise, we will not publish your individual contact details / information (although that information may be publicly referred to as part of the planning application – see below). We may refer to Organisations by name; however, individuals within organisations will not be identified. We may include extracts from responses by individuals but these will be quoted without attribution to an individual.
If you would prefer that your response is not quoted within the consultation report, even without a reference to your name, please declare this on the online consultation feedback form when making your submission, or contact the Project team in writing using the contact details provided below.
* Please do not provide personal information about other individuals. However, if you provide any details of other individuals or organisations within the text body of your consultation response, we will assume that you have obtained the consent of such individuals for such disclosure. In responding to this consultation, we are presuming therefore that you are giving your consent for the information you provide to be used as stated in this notice.
Information collected about landowners, tenants and those persons with an interest in land
What additional information will we collect about landowners, tenants and those persons with an interest in land?
We will collect the following information about land owners, tenants, and those persons with an interest in land:
- Contact information (address and/or postcode, email address, phone numbers and preferred contact);
- Any group you are authorised to respond on behalf of;
- Other people with an interest in your land/land you occupy;
- Mortgage details;
- Bank details/payment details;
- Details of Planning Applications held on public records.
to allow us to:
- Maintain accurate information relevant to the Project;
- Discuss and manage specific details relating to land and access;
- Co-ordinate with overlapping and adjacent developers during this process;
- Assist us in maintaining and operating the existing pipeline and the replacement pipeline once constructed, including any replacement or decommissioning.
We will also request the following information about the nature of the land:
- Land use and proposed land use information;
- Land infrastructure information (drainage/water sources etc.);
- Private services such as drainage, power etc.
- Land boundary information;
- Site hazard information.
The justifications for collecting and using your personal information in these ways are that it is legally necessary and in the public interest in assisting with the planning and design of the project and for safe construction. Furthermore, Esso asserts its legitimate business interest to process the Personal Information for the above purposes in the context of its petrochemical activities in UK.
How long will Esso keep my information?
Your information will be retained and held in a secure environment until:
- Our proposals are fully built and operational or,
- In the case of landowner information relating to the replacement pipeline as built, the final decommissioning of the pipeline, or
- The point at which your information is no longer needed.
What rights do I have over my personal data?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right of:
- Access to your personal data;
- Rectification, erasure or restriction of your information;
- Objecting to processing;
- Data portability, in certain circumstances, which allows you to obtain and reuse the information for your own purposes without hindrance to usability.
For further information about how your data will be used can be found by contacting us by email (email@example.com) or telephone (07925 068905).
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection authority if you have concerns about how your personal data are being processed. Please go to www.ico.org.uk for further information.
Esso may transfer some or all of the Personal Information to servers of ExxonMobil located worldwide and may make that Personal Information accessible to other ExxonMobil affiliates, some of which are located in third countries that may not be regarded as providing an adequate level of protection of the Personal Data, in accordance with applicable law.
The transfer of Personal Information from the UK to recipients located outside the EEA is subject to restrictions. The ExxonMobil group has taken steps so that Personal Information receives an adequate level of data protection at all relevant ExxonMobil locations. These steps include ExxonMobil affiliates entering into Inter Affiliate Agreements containing the EU “Standard Contractual Clauses”. The EU Standard Contractual Clauses have been approved by the European Commission and relevant European authorities as offering adequate protection for transfers of Personal Data outside the EEA. For more information about transfer mechanisms used, including information on and a copy of any of the existing contractual safeguards implemented by ExxonMobil, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Use, Notices and Revisions
When we make material changes to this Privacy Notice, we will post the changes on this page and update the revision date at the top of the Privacy Notice. We encourage you to view our Privacy Notice regularly for updates.
If you choose to visit our Site, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Privacy Notice, including any limitations on damages, arbitration of disputes and application of law provisions. We reserve the right to change this statement at any time without notice.
Contacting Esso about the content of this Privacy Notice
If you have any questions about the content of this Privacy Notice, please contact Esso’s Data Privacy Office at the following address:
Attn: Data Privacy Office
c/o Esso Petroleum Company UK Limited